Proven 5S Products that Work
When attempting to implement or improve a 5S strategy in a facility you will undoubtedly find that there are many different products out there that claim to effectively address 5S challenges. While many of them are great, others really just don’t get the job done. Using ineffective 5S products is counterproductive because it is actually a type of waste, which goes against the 5S philosophy.
Taking the time to find 5S products that work is well worth the effort and will help your entire 5S strategy to be more effective. The following are some products that have been proven to be effective over the course of time. They are used by thousands of facilities around the world and, when used correctly, can help improve the way any facility operates.
Pegboards are an extremely simple idea and have been around for a very long time. They can help improve the organization of your facility in many ways, and as we all know, improved organization means reduced waste.
One of the biggest ways that pegboards can help your facility is by allowing you to store items on the walls, which is traditionally an area that is effectively wasted. This can eliminate clutter on the ground and increase the total number of tools, accessories or other things that can be kept in an area.
Basic, metal pegboards are a great option, but they really become most effective when you start using products to customize them to your specific needs. The following pegboard options can really help take your 5S efforts to the next level:
- Shadow Markings – Shadow markings can be placed directly on the pegboards so that tools and other items are always put back in their proper place. This can help ensure the boards are organized well.
- Pegboard Bins – Adding bins to your peg boards will allow you to keep a much larger variety of things on your peg boards. Using bins of many sizes is great for small things like nuts & bolts or larger items like paperwork or bulky tools. Consider adding a bin to a steel pegboard to organize paint cans, tools and more.
- Pegboard Rods – Using pegboard rods can add some dimension to the storage area. This is great for times when you have baggies of tools or products that need to be organized.
- Pegboard Signs – Placing custom signs on the pegboard will allow you to improve organization and efficiency.
Floor Marking Tape
Floor marking tape is one of the most common 5S products available today, and with good reason. This type of tape can be used in many ways to help improve the overall efficiency and safety of a facility. You can buy this type of marking tape in solid colors, patterns or just about anything else you can imagine to get the results you’re looking for.
In addition to the different types of floor marking tape you can also get floor marking shapes that can be very helpful. These shapes are just tape that are pre-cut to be the exact shape that is needed. They can be things like footprints, corners, squares, dots or any number of other things.
When you have access to this type of thing it is extremely fast and easy to apply it to the floors in your facility to improve visual communication, which will help keep things operating more smoothly. When it comes to finding 5S products that work; floor marking tape is one of the best and most affordable options out there.
Dry Erase Boards
This product is one that many people don’t even think about when considering 5S but it can be very helpful. Good quality dry erase boards can be used in many ways in facilities and since they are completely reusable there is virtually no waste involved.
Some facilities use these boards to make up schedules; others use them for tracking orders or parts. The specifics of how they are used will vary greatly from company to company but in all cases they can be extremely helpful.
To get the most out of any dry erase board you will want to make sure it is hung in an area where people will be able to easily see it. This may be near a break room, a check in area or whatever works for your facility. The other important thing is to ensure it is always kept updated to ensure the information is accurate.
Whether you just have an open dry erase board or you apply permanent markings to help improve the usefulness in your facility, this type of product is easy to use and effective.
Industrial label printers are another popular option when it comes to 5S. Many facilities already have these printers, but even those that don’t can purchase them at very affordable rates. Having the ability to make great labels can give you many options for improving organization.
What some businesses don’t realize is that industrial label printers can be used to create more than just high quality labels. You can use them to make custom signs, which can help convey any message that is needed in a facility.
Another way label printers can help eliminate waste is by making it so you don’t have to purchase custom labels or signs. You’ll be able to print them right on site, which will save you a significant amount of time and money in the long run.
Foam Tool Box Organizers
Facilities often have hundreds of different tools that are used on a daily basis. When left unchecked all the tools end up getting tossed into one or more storage areas with little thought given to organization. This, of course, means that people will waste time looking for what they need and tools will get lost, broken or even stolen.
Using foam tool organizer tool boxes or other storage areas can virtually eliminate this problem. The foam cutouts can be custom made based on the exact tools you have. The following are some of the many benefits your facility will enjoy when you start using this type of 5S product:
- Tool Safety – Your tools will be kept in better condition because they won’t be bumping into each other or getting tangled up.
- Employee Safety – When each tool is kept in its own spot there is far less risk of employees getting cut or poked by sharp parts of tools.
- Efficiency – When every tool has its own place it will be far easier to locate exactly what is needed. This can save a lot of time both when getting a tool and when putting them away.
- Reduced Theft – If people know that every tool is accounted for they won’t be tempted to steal it, and if they do, it will be noticed more quickly.
- Clean Tools – By keeping each tool separate from the other tools everything will stay cleaner. This can help to avoid many problems with the tools themselves and improve the overall cleanliness of the facility.
Having a cart on wheels where tools and other equipment can be placed is a great way to improve efficiency in your facility. This type of cart will allow people to grab what is needed and bring it to the work area much more easily than would otherwise be possible. In many cases it will eliminate the need to make multiple trips back and forth, which is a type of waste.
These carts can be used in a kitchen, or in place of a workbench if needed. Employees can get everything they need completed in one clean and organized area without having to use an unstable system. Most of these types of carts will have drawers for tools and other items too, which makes the entire process much easier and more efficient as well.
5S Improvements using Quality Products
Of course, these are just a few examples of some of the most effective 5S products on the market today. These will be helpful in virtually any facility you can imagine. In most cases, however, a facility will also have some more specific needs that need to be addresses using 5S products.
To make sure you get the results you’re looking for, make sure you know exactly what problem you’re trying to solve. When you have that information, you can browse through all types of 5S products to see which ones will get you the results you need. Many people are pleasantly surprised to find that there are many great products that have been created to address most any issue that comes up in a facility.
When done properly, you’ll find that you can get the exact products you need to reduce and eliminate waste in your facility. Once you have the product, however, you need to take the next step, which is ensuring your employees know how and when to use it. This will typically require training either for the entire facility or at least those specific areas where these products are being put to use.
As long as you put in the time and effort, your facility will be able to enjoy the many great benefits associated with these and many other 5S products. Make sure you check out Creative Safety Supply for all your 5S product needs.
- Triton Products Review
- Could You be Losing $500 in Tools Each Year?
- Make Warehouse Labels with Your LabelTac Printer
- SafetyTac Floor Marking Tape in Real 5S Projects
- Spill Kits 101
- How to Clean Floor Tape
- Product Spotlight – Bepop Printers