Introduction Guide to Floor Marking Tape
Whenever working in an industrial facility, it is essential to do all you can to keep employees and equipment safe. One key way to do this is by using floor markings to help identify where people should be walking, where inventory should be stored, and even helping guide people to exits during an emergency.
If you are looking to learn about why floor marking materials are important, and how to properly use them in your facility, this is an excellent introductory guide for you.
Types of Floor Marking Materials – Tape vs. Paint
One of the first decisions you need to make when preparing to use floor markings in your facility is what type of marking material is right for you. There are two major options to choose from, which are paint or tape.
Floor marking paint can provide an easy to use floor covering, but it has many restrictions that you need to deal with. For example, it takes a lot longer to apply the paint and then let it dry than it would to just put down the tape. In addition paint is typically going to be more expensive when you go with an industrial strength option. You will also be limited as to where you can put it since you can’t, for example, use it on carpeting.
Floor marking tape, on the other hand, is an excellent choice for just about every situation. Marking tape can be used in just about every environment. There are also specialized types of tapes that are made to stand up to the roughest environments.
SafetyTac Industrial Floor Marking Tape from Creative Safety Supply
Types of Floor Tape Available
If you choose to use floor marking tape, you will want to make sure you are using the right type. The high quality floor tape manufacturers use specific materials and adhesives based on the environment the tape will be used in. The following are some of the more popular options:
- General Floor Marking Tape – This is the option (which is found here) that is made for most uses. It is durable, easy to install and can last for years. For most facilities, this is what would be used the vast majority of the time.
- Glow Tape – When you want your tape to be visible at night, glow tape (similar to this) is an excellent choice. This type of tape is long lasting and easily visible in darker areas of any facility.
- Anti Slip Tape – Floor marking tape can be used for more than just adding visibility. Anti-slip tape (such as this) can give you some extra traction so people aren’t at risk of slipping and falling.
- Hazard Floor Tape – You can mark your floors to indicate that there is a hazard in the area. Often used around machinery that moves, this floor tape can serve as an excellent early warning to people in the area.
- Floor Marking Shapes – There are many times when you don’t just want a straight piece of floor marking tape. For these occasions, floor marking shapes (like this) might be the best option. You can get shapes like foot prints, arrows, corner pieces and much more.
Of course, there are many other types of floor marking tape available as well. When looking to add this type of tape to your floors or other areas, make sure you take some time to really think about which option will meet your specific needs the best.
Floor Marking Tape Materials
Another important decision is to see what material you want your marking tape to be made from. There are quite a few options in this area as well. For example, you can get vinyl marking tape, which is very strong and long lasting. You can also have plastic based tapes that often provide a lower profile since they are thinner.
Each material has different advantages and disadvantages, so make sure you take these into account when planning your purchase. Just like the different types of floor marking tape, the different materials are extremely important.
How to Install Floor Marking Tape
Once you’ve chosen the tape that will work best for you, you need to install it properly. Fortunately, this is one of the many benefits of floor marking tape. It is extremely easy to install. To get started, just follow these simple instructions:
- Clean the Area – Start by cleaning the area where the tape will be placed so that it will have a nice clean surface to stick to. Make sure to let the area dry before continuing.
- Applying the Tape – Once the floor is clean, you can begin applying the tape either by a tape roller, or by hand. The roller allows you to apply it much more quickly by simply rolling the tape out in a long straight line.
To apply it by hand, it is best to measure out where you want it to go, and then place a piece at the beginning, leaving the protective coating on the rest of it. As you go along, pull a few feet of the protective coating off at a time while carefully securing it on the floor.
- Pressing the Tape – Finally, go over the length of the tape by either walking on it or pressing it down with a roller. This will help ensure all the adhesive has a good connection to the floor.
That’s really all there is to the whole process. Once you’ve got the tape placed, it should stay there for years without any trouble as long as you keep it well maintained. If you do happen to notice that the tape is coming up, make sure you push it back down quickly. If it won’t stay, you can cut away a small section and replace it with a new piece without a problem.
How to Maintain Floor Marking Tape
When you have floor marking tape in your facility, you need to make sure you keep it in good condition. Fortunately, floor tape is easy to maintain, even in the harshest conditions. Here are a few important things to keep in mind about how to maintain your floor marking tape.
- Cleaning – You can clean this type of tape with a normal floor cleaning product. Make sure you don’t leave pools of water or cleaning product on the tape when you are done, however.
- Proper Care – While floor marking tape can stand up to a lot, it is best to avoid as much impact as possible. With this in mind, have people try not to drag the forks of a fork lift over it, for example. This will help to extend the life of the tape.
- Removal – In the event that you do want to remove the tape, you need to make sure it is done properly. You want to start by getting the adhesive to weaken, which can be done using any commercial adhesive remover. Soak the tape in this remover for a time. When ready, take a trowel and push it under the tape. This should allow the tape to be pulled up easily. Make sure to clean the floor completely when done.
Exceptional Floor Marking Tape
As you can see, floor marking tape is one of the best options on the market for improving safety in your facility. It can be used for organizational benefits, safety benefits, or even to help improve the way certain areas look. When you choose the right tape, and use it properly, you’ll love all the advantages it provides.