Pipe Marking 101 – Why is pipe marking important?
- Safety – Eliminate accidents by minimizing identification errors.
- Efficiency – No wasted time tracing pipes to their source.
- Compliance – Reduce company liability and eliminate fines.
Guidelines for labeling pipes
There are four main arenas of pipe marking guidelines.
- Format – Standards and Formats vary from country to country.
- EU Standard
- Marine/Offshore (ISO 14726)
- U.S. Standard (AMSE/ANSI Standard Standard A13.1-2007)
Numbers 2 through 4 focus on the U.S. Standard
- Color Scheme – Color schemes help with classification
Pipe Marking labels must effectively communicate the contents of the pipes, and give additional detail if special hazards (such as extreme temperatures or pressures) exist.
- White on Green – All Water (Potable, Cooling, Boiler, etc.)
- White on Blue – All Air (Compressed, Lab, etc.)
- Black on Yellow – Flammable Fluids & Gasses
- White on Red – Fire-Quenching Fluids
- White on Brown – Combustible Fluids & Gasses
- Black on Orange – Toxic/Corrosive Fluids & Gasses
This group of colors is definable by the user. Some common uses are:
- White on Purple – Acids & Alkalis
- White on Black – Waste Media
- White on Gray – Non flammable Gas
- Black on White – Air Ventilation Systems
- Height of the text – The height of the text is based on the pipe size
Text height and pipe marker label lengths should follow these recommended guidelines:
Pipe Outer Diameter Text Height Minimum Label Length 0.75″ – 1.24″ 0.5″ 8″ 1.25″ – 2.4″ 0.75″ 8″ 2.5″ – 7.9″ 1.25″ 12″ 8″ – 9.9″ 2.5″ 24″ 10″+ 3.5″ 32″
- Visibility – Pipe markers should be visually accessible upon entering the area.
- Guideline #1 – Pipes should be marked as close to all valves or flanges as possible.
- Guideline #2 – Pipes should be marked as close to directional changes as possible.
- Guideline #3 – Pipes should be marked at points where they have penetrated walls or dividers.
- Guideline #4 – Pipes should be marked every 25’ to 50’ interval on straight runs.
- Guideline #5 – Pipe markers should be readily visible when entering the facility from the normal entry point.
Creative Safety Supply is committed to being your safety and labeling experts. We provide a wide range of industrial safety products, including made-to-order pipe markers and industrial pipe marking label printers so you can make your pipe markers in-house. Call today!