The 12 Days of Christmas Safety
- Clean your chimney. Dirty chimneys can cause chimney fires.
- Make sure your outdoor lights are meant for outdoor use. Follow labeling for number of light sets which can be connected end-to-end. Discard any string of lights with frayed cords, cracked lamp holders or loose connections.
Pro tip: Turn off the electricity to the supply outlet before working on outdoor wiring.
- Use safe ladder practices when hanging lights.
- Be careful when getting decorations out of a low attic. Watch for exposed nails, wires, low-hanging rafters or cross-beams. In addition, openings between truss chords can present a fall hazard.
- Turn off all indoor and outdoor lights before you go to bed.
- Place candles on steady, non-flammable surfaces and away from curtains and other flammable items. Keep them out of reach of children and pets. Blow candles out when you leave the room.
- Always have a working fire extinguisher in the house and keep it easily accessible.
Pro tip: Install working smoke alarms on every level of your home and outside each sleeping area.
- With so much holiday cheer, don’t get distracted and leave cooking food unattended.
- Keep trees away from heat sources like radiators and fireplaces.
Pro tip: Before setting up the tree inside, trim two inches off the stem diagonally so it can absorb water. Add water each day to ensure the tree is well watered.
- Do not overload electrical circuits or extension cords.
- Always turn Christmas lights out before leaving home or going to sleep.
Pro tip: Purchase lights that have a label from a recognized testing laboratory, and follow instructions on cord labels regarding connecting lights strings and extension cords.
- Keep sidewalks & steps shoveled and de-iced to prevent slips and falls.
Santa’s tip: Don’t drink and drive. Santa would call a cab!
According to the NFPA, U.S. fire departments respond to an average of 230 home fires that start with Christmas trees each year. Electrical failures or malfunctions are a factor in 1/3 of all Christmas tree fires. A little safety can go a long way for keeping the HAPPY in your HOLIDAYS!
Creative Safety Supply is committed to being your safety and labeling experts. We provide a wide range of industrial safety products to increase visual awareness, safety and Lean practices. Call today!