What is so important about floors? We walk on them, put things on them….but mark them? After all, we put the markings for emergency exits in planes on the floor, and we are told that when smoke fills a room to crawl out of the building. It makes sense that we have industrial floor marking.
Author Rick Ruzga mentions, in his blog post “Floor Marking Standards – 5S Visuals,” that marking floors in a 5S program is essential to “visually show the layout or flow patterns in the facility for people, materials, and information communication.”
He points out that the safety regulatory groups like OSHA don’t give us a standardized marking procedure, so we are left with some level of confusion when going between different facilities–sometimes within the same company! He believes that once a “standard is created, everyone in the facility understands completely what the colors indicate.”
Ruzga also stresses that, in order to create a reliable method for marking industrial floors, the marking should be:
- Easily Application (minimum floor prep, no bubbles, and no wrinkles or wavy lines)
- Durable (it should withstand traffic and heavy items being dragged over lines)
- Easy Removal (comes up in one piece, doesn’t leave residue or damage floor finish)
Although Ruzga mentions tape and paint as o the main methods for marking a floor, I’d have to fully recommend using only an industrial-grade tape. You won’t have to do nearly as much prep, application, and clean up as you would with painting. It comes down to a simple cleaning of the floor, application of tape, tamping and done! No prepping/stripping the floor, painting, waiting for drying and curing times–and absolutely no cleaning up of spilled paint.
Save yourself all the mess and trouble and buy good tape to get the job done.
Read more by Rick Ruzga here =>
- New Options: Why paint lines to mark your aisles or safety lanes? It is a mess.
- Floor Marking Best Practices
- Safety Audit Turns to Floor Marking Tape for Help
- Introduction to Proper Use of Industrial Floor Marking Tape
- Floor Markings in Warehouse
- Floor Marking Tape Color Standards